Sunday, October 21, 2012

Nifty Fifties Momma's SF Non Dairy Hot Cocoa

Doug and I went to the Lebanon Yellowjackets football game Friday night like we have been doing for 12 years.  It had been a pretty nice week with mild temperatures along some beautiful clear blue skies but wouldn't you know Friday was cloudy and cold.  I decided to take my own hot cocoa not because I don't want to support band or that I am too cheap.  I simply don't want the sugar, cocoa, and water drink that is traditional at all football games that have cold weather.
 
We tried to take one of those couples cell phone camera pictures but miserably failed. Doug looks like he is passing gas and I look like I added rum to the hot cocoa and I am about to fall off the bleachers.  As you can see I had on my faith scarf,   that fuzzy gold stuff around my neck, that I was already bundled up.  "Faith scarf?"  you ask.  That is for another blog entry but if you don't like snow then you don't want to know.  Hey that rhymes.  I'm a poet and didn't know it.  :-D
 
 
I was glad I made my Hot Cocoa and had my Faith Scarf because I got pretty COLD
 
 Last winter I started using unsweetened almond milk and discovered I could make hot cocoa with it.  I am not diabetic nor lactose intolerant but there is a history of both in my family so I have been learning how to cut sugar out and some of my dairy products.  You will need the following to create this warm yum yum:
 
 
A good Thermos, unsweetened almond milk, cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener of your choice.  I set my burner on medium heat and have a whisk handy.  I measured the almond milk by pouring it into the Thermos first and then into the pan.  I takes about 2 tbsp of cocoa per cup of milk but you can add more if you want it more chocolaty.  I used 2 equals per cup of milk and one cap full of vanilla.  I stand there and whisk it continually until the cocoa is dissolved and  the milk is heated When I make this at home I sometimes put cool whip on it or sugar free marshmallows.
 
Just for fun a picture of Doug's Independence Bowl trophy that was in one of the pictures above.

1 comment:

  1. Angela,

    I have enjoyed reading your blog! I am going to have to make some of your yummy receipes

    Randi Davis (Dr. Lanois student from Missouri State:)

    ReplyDelete