Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Low Carb Creamy Bacon Slaw

Ho hum another dinner to plan.  Doug is getting bored with our usual side dishes.  What is a girl to do?  As I prowled the store looking for candidates to add to my "meets" for the day,  I happened to be looking at the Walden Sugar Free dressings at Price Cutter.  I noticed a bottle of Walden Farms Creamy Bacon dressing.  My game plan for the protein portion of dinner was to grill pork loins on the grill outside.  Seeing the dressing I thought it would make a flavorful slaw.  I usually make a poppy seed slaw but the Creamy Bacon would make something different and perhaps gain favor with the king of the castle. You will need the following to make it:
1/2 bottle Walden Farms Sugar Free Creamy Bacon Dressing
1 pkg. Dole Classic Coleslaw
2 pkg. of your preferred sweetener.  I used equal
Handful of frozen peas (these aren't really low carb but the small amount will be okay)
Pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl about a hour before dinner and place in the refrigerator for the slaw and dressing to get acquainted and to chill.  This will also allow the peas to thaw appropriately.

Here is a picture of the dressing bottle.  I've seen this brand available in health food stores but I got mine at Price Cutter.  Walden Farms has a wide variety of dressings and various sugar free items.
Here is the finished product in my grandmother's antique ceramic bowl.  Doug said the recipe was a "fix again".  Nothing like a crowd pleaser if you can call two people eating dinner a crowd.  On the other hand I can't forget that Daisy and Sumo are sitting at our feet just waiting to vote their approval if a minute morsel falls to the floor.
I had to add this picture to the blog post as it is what accompanied the pork loins and slaw.  Fall is the best time to eat acorn squash.  We usually only eat it in the fall.  I top my squash with real butter, salt, pepper, cinnamon and brown sugar (I used Splenda's brown sugar to cut out sugar).  Put those seasonings on during the last 20 minutes of baking.  I've got to say my honey bunches was a happy camper after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment