Monday, October 8, 2012

Autumn Sunday Afternoon in the Park

What a beautiful day today was even though it was just on the cool side if you weren't standing in the sun.  Doug asked if I wanted to go to Bennett this afternoon.  He is trying to get all the last minute fly fishing in before the season ends.  The bell goes off at 6:30 now and the closing day is October 31, 2012.  I grabbed a coat and gloves then headed out to meet him there.  Fall is definitely here in the park.
Even the Park Store has a Harvest Porch. I was surprised at how many people would be there this afternoon. Still a number of die hard fishermen just like my fisherman. People not fishing were dressed in jackets and hats strolling around taking in every bit of God's majestic nature before Old Man Winter blows into town. Hopefully he will come with a real winter and not a pretend one, one with plenty of white sparkly crystal snow. Evidently he is already headed down to the good old USA, rearing his head in the north 40. :-D









Doug fishes on the east side of the bridge by the falls.  The above is one of many little paths down to the river.  They are short but steep paths full of rocks, roots, poison ivy, ticks, leaves, and probably snakes.  Of course they just taunt and challenge me to climb down to the river where all sorts of views are provided by nature.  This was the path I climbed down today.

Look what is still alive and well.  Can anyone say poison ivy without reaching to scratch?


                     This is the view I got for putting the effort forth climbing down to the river

Climbing back up to the pavement, I noticed this sign screwed to this tree.  I thought it a pretty cool sign.  I wonder how old it is and what the history is behind it?


This is looking up into the top of that Silver Maple.  I love looking up into the tops of trees, seeing the blue sky through the branches and leaves.


Doug can fish in this zone because he is talented.  He makes his own flies.  Have your ever seen someone do this.  It is pretty amazing the intricate work it takes.  Whoever said men don't have a way with their fine motor skills never met the men in my family.


I have now got my chair plopped down at the edge of the pavement.  I am dressed with long pants, a jacket with a coat over that, and gloves but it is still pretty chilly.  I follow Doug along the river as he moves downstream or upstream, dragging my chair along the way.  Sometimes he gets into a spot where I have to play peeping Tom.  lol  This was one of those spots but he caught a nice size trout.  If you look closely you can see his fishing pole and see how taunt it is. BRRRR....the wind picked up.  I started getting pretty cold sitting there.  I finally packed up to head home it was too cold to sit there and watch today.


More trees in the sky pictures.  Too bad the camera can't capture the gentle sway of the branches with its leaves marching to its tune.


The emerald green and various green hues of the spring was empty of fishermen which was a mild surprise to me.  It usually has a few in there fishing.  Little did I know that when I aimed my camera I'd capture another trees in the sky picture from the reflection in the spring.  At one time pioneers used the spring for gristmill because the of the cold flowing waters.  This spring brings a lot of enjoyment to people from all over country that like to fly fish.  It also helps our small town economically because of tourism it brings.
This was the only vibrant colored tree I saw out there.  I don't think we will have a spectacular leaf show this year because of the summer we had.  I headed out of this picture to get home and start our Sunday dinner.  I was glad I left when I did or I would have missed the following show from my front porch in the sky.
 
When I first noticed the balloon he was so low and close that you could see the man and wave at him.  I ran into the house to get my cell phone to take a picture (naturally the one time I don't have it on me lol).


This one is from my front porch.  You can see the roof in the top left corner.
He is flying higher now and leaving the neighborhood.  It is amazing how loud the hot air fire is when he pulls for it to blast.  I don't know all the technical names for the hot air balloon but I think you get the idea.
One last picture before he flies away.  He sure did perk me up from my afternoon sleepiness.  lol  I have to say it was an amazing afternoon.  I am always thankful for all the little surprises in life.




No comments:

Post a Comment